The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) sacked the Chetan Sharma-led national selection committee on Friday and invited applications for the role with a list of criteria. According to the press release on Friday, all five selectors picked should be under the age of 60.
Another criterion like the candidate should have played a minimum of 7 test matches and 30 First Class matches or 10 ODI matches and 20 First Class matches remain the same. Also, the candidates should have retired from the game at least 5 years ago.
In the press release, BCCI has listed eight main responsibilities. They are,
1. Select the best possible team in a fair and transparent manner.
2. Plan and prepare a strong bench strength for the Senior Men’s National team.
3. Attend Team meetings as and when required.
4. Travel to watch Domestic and International matches.
5. Prepare and provide evaluation reports of the respective team performances to the Apex Council of BCCI on a quarterly basis.
6. Address the media on team selection as and when instructed by BCCI.
7. Appoint Captain for the team in each format.
8. Adhere to the rules and regulation of BCCI.
In addition to these points, the BCCI added “no person who has been a member of any Cricket Committee (as defined in the rules and regulations of BCCI) for a total of 5 years shall be eligible to be a member of Men’s Selection Committee.”
Out of the eight main jobs, two were not there in the earlier selection committee: preparing evaluation reports on a quarterly basis and appointing a captain for the team in each format.
The duty of appointing the captain for each format indicates BCCI’s decision on splitting the captaincy in each format. The first step towards this is Hardik Pandya leading the squad for the New Zealand T20I series. If Pandya succeeds in the tour, he may be considered the captain for the T20 format.
Even though no reports came out regarding Rohit Sharma’s captaincy change, there may be a chance to split the leadership to promote the game in a new way. Ravi Shastri backing the idea of Pandya becoming the captain of the T20 format shows the same.
Also, this is for the first time that the BCCI job description insists the selectors address the media regarding the team selection and queries. The last day to apply for the post is November 28.
Fantasy Cricket League - Everything is Cricket Here!